Thursday, July 3, 2008

Angela

Angela
Source: Greek, angelos; "messenger from God"

According to this website:
http://www.babynamesworld.com/suitability_of_Angela.html

12% of the Angela's who did the name survey said that people occasionally mispronounce the name Angela.

I'm surprised by this LOW percentage.

My Math 221 TA misspelled my name as Anglea, and he DID call me ANGLE-la. I guess this shows how "math" he is (but isn't that geometry? anyway...). I have to mention that he's from Beijing. I think "an qi la" (安琪拉) doesn't help anyone in figuring out the correct pronunciation of the name. Where the heck does this "qi" come from? I once hated my name a lot bcoz 安琪拉 is just crap. When you say it in Cantonese, no part of it reflects my name, and it reminds me of 莎琪瑪. It seems unfair to put my TA in the 12% though. He mispronounced my name because he misspelled my name. Suen la gum.

But I am sure the mispronunciation rate is higher than 12% in my case. Just as other mo noi Fiona's, Sophia's, Aaron's in HK, I am too tired of correcting people how to say my name. I have met a Peony and for the 4-5 times I called her [pee'-uh-nee], she would reply "Oh actually my name is [pee-on'-nee] ah" every single time. Isn't that too tiring?

I'm glad that at least 70% of the people I met still say my name correctly, unlike the 90% wrong for fee-AWN-na, SEW-fee-a and air-黃. I'm not too worried that I would 崩潰 bcoz nobody can say my name right. But Fiona, Sophia and Aaron are... hopeless... It's like if you insist 大"余"山 is 大"序"山, people would think you are crazy... (indeed... the power of 約定俗成 is so ging...)

Only 65% responded that they liked the name Angela a lot. Right. I don't like my name. It's too angelic and I think Devila may suit me more in this sense. My mom chose this name bcoz our English names all start with A. Coincidentally my birthday (January 27) is the Catholic feast day for Saint Angela Merici. I have no idea who she was and my mom is not a Catholic, she didn't know about this until I told her. Maybe I'm destined to have this name... And the name Angela was on my birth certificate so I never got the chance to introduce myself in a new English name when a new school year starts. aiiiii...

I just listened to the German pronunciation of my name (http://www.nordicnames.de/Aussprache.html) and it makes me dislike my name even more... -__-!!! Why don't I have a name that starts with J so it will be pronounced as a "y", and sounds even more beautiful than in English??

After listening to "硬基喇" a few times I had to switch back to this website. http://www.babynamer.com/Angela
The woman voice that speaks my name is sooooo gentle... It almost melts my heart (awww!!!). I think I need to bookmark this site so that it can remind me that my name can be this 動聽. It's a nice name after all. I wish I could be more angel-like so I can match my name better, and I wish I had never heard the German/Hong Kong version of it... haha~~

No comments: